Friday, September 23, 2016

"Personality Profile Evaluation"


The focus of the story became clear to me at the third paragraph in which she said, “By then, the 31-year-old swimmer will be slicing toward Silver Strand Beach near Oxnard”.

It gave me an inclination that she was doing something similar to races in the Bay Area where swimmers swim out to Alcatraz.

This lead was very captivating to me.

I too am a swimmer, and I also wake up very early in the morning.

I could envision the scenario vividly and it made me feel I was right there with her.

I found this to be a great article and quite a few quotes stuck out to me with two being exceptional.

“Swimmers can have food tossed to them, a process Horn likened to "feeding a seal."

This quote reminded me of the swimmer being an attraction in a zoo.

It’s similar in a way where the swimmer is in an exhibit and the onlookers from the boat and shores are the spectators.

The way she is described being fed like a seal just gave me a visual of how intense this swim is.

“Swimmers depart early in the morning to avoid afternoon winds, but night swimming adds a "spooky element" that requires mental and physical strength, he said. Swimmers wear LED lights or glow sticks during the dark hours.”

This quote gave me an unsettling eerie feeling.

First off, I don’t like large bodies of water.

Secondly, when you add darkness to large bodies of water, I freak out.

This quote made me want to read faster so I didn’t have to imagine it too much.

There some examples of how the author uses description and how they use information to bolster the story.

One example of how the writer uses information to strengthen the story is, “Horn is using her journey across the Santa Barbara Channel to raise funds for Special Olympics Southern California.”

It’s showing that Horn is not just swimming for a personal challenge to swim across, but rather to support a charitable cause.

The author also uses to information when he says, “On average, the success rate for the Anacapa Island route is about 50 percent, he said. 

Assuming the swimmer has trained properly, the outcome depends on conditions.”

The author is trying to say how difficult this trek is and the significance of Horn’s journey.

The author balances out its use of information with also description so that it remains to entice the reader.

One example is, “Horn will have no wetsuit. The sun will join her more than two and a half hours later.”

The writer describes Horn will endure some harsh cold waters but he is also describing how the sun will eventually warm her up sometime during the day.

Even with this example, “She doesn't listen to music.”

The author is telling the reader a description to enforce the article.

Swimming that long of distance would make anyone bored.

But for Horn, she prefers to be not distracted on many levels.


She even describes these long distances as being meditative and the quieter it is, the more focused she remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment