Thursday, September 8, 2016

My Favorite Writing


Reality TV can really suck people in like a chaotic whirlpool of drama and excitement.

It can captivate the viewer with its riveting power of experiencing someone else’s life and problems with the luxury of putting your own life to rest for the hour segment or however long you can endure the raw reality of it all.

I for one am a complete sucker when it comes to reality TV.

I was right there from the beginning watching the first Real World when it appeared on MTV, and I watched religiously shows such as The Newlyweds with dingbat star Jessica Simpson, or The Osbournes with Ozzy Osbourne.

It literally halts my life while I can experience someone else’s own.

Which is why I love, and I mean LOVE, memoirs.

Anyone who has the passion to write a memoir of themselves, usually means they have a pretty good story of their life.

The life that has led to their present time fascinates me!

It can make me feel like I can honestly feel better about my life when reading about someone else’s.

One author in particular that vividly comes to my mind is Jeannette Walls.

The once gossip columnist for MSNBC.com, has a riveting story on how she came to where she is today.

Her memoir, The Glass Castle, was once on the NY Times bestseller list for 100 weeks in where she talks about her highly dysfunctional family but also very entrancing life experiences that came along with them.

Even though what she says in her writing is completely true, it’s almost too impossible to believe its valid since it’s so off the wall crazy.

She tells it like story.

A story as if it is almost fiction.

But it’s not fiction and her story is so hypnotic that I read it in 2 days.

Walls, J. (2005). The Glass Castle. New York:  Scribner.

No comments:

Post a Comment