Growing up,
I hated to cook.
Everything
from toasting toast to baking cookies, I had this embedded fear of cooking
anything thinking it would be harmful to me.
Coming out
of high school that fear of cooking became so fierce, that the thought of even eating
became forefront.
Anorexia had
made its nest in my bran and it wasn’t planning to leave any time soon.
This disease
was so mind controlling that I even would count calories of chewing on a piece
of gum or even eating 5 carrots.
I thought
about food constantly and let me tell you, it wasn’t in a good way.
Just when I
thought I was at my worst weighing at 120 lbs as a six foot woman, my savior
came.
You would
think it would be some sort of doctor telling me I was going to die if I didn’t
eat anything, or some close friend forcing a hamburger down my throat.
No, it wasn’t
anything like that that.
My body was
in starvation mode and when your body is in starvation mode, you look at food
like a ravenous lion stalking their prey.
You can’t
stop thinking about food, you can’t stop looking at food, and you start to
hallucinate food.
With that
being said, my savior ironically was my job at Trader Joe’s.
Demonstrating
the food forced me to be around the smells of food, the sight of food, and feel
of food.
My senses
were on overload, and the disease was losing its battle with me.
The sense of
taste barged in and it wasn’t looking back.
I couldn’t
defy my starvation any longer.
When I succumbed
to finally eating, my mind immediately had conflicting feeling of all the endorphins
from eating, to the overwhelming weight of the guilt of eating.
I hated
myself for eating.
When would
write in my diary, I would be so critical and so judgmental of my own self that
my mind was making me hate myself.
I tried to
throw up the food.
I tried to
run several miles to burn off the 100 calories I had given myself.
I was literally
torturing myself.
After almost
2 years of this torture, I eventually began to realize that I really love food.
At this new
job as the demonstrator, I began to learn new cooking techniques.
Ironically
it turned out to be therapeutic for me.
And
customers were actually asking me for recipes and complimenting me on how good
it tasted.
How could
this bulimic anorexic girl be doing this?
I couldn’t stop
thinking about the flavors, the spices, the expensive cookware, and when I was
going to get m y next cookbook.
Now that I
was completely infatuated with food, my anorexia was deemed defeated!
There will
always be a lingering affect but I definitely will never report back to that
degree.
My clothes
were starting to fit.
My skin was
glowing and not looking like a ghost all the time.
And with all
this praise and encouragement, I took the ambitious step of going into culinary
school.
I graduated
with a grand diploma in classic culinary arts in the fall of 2011.
Never in a
billion years would I ever think as this being one of my accomplishments.
I thought
for sure I would get my college degree before anything but amusingly my one
fear has brought to be my biggest enjoyment in life.
I even took
it a step further and found another love of mine which is wine.
I became certified
wine sommelier in the winter of 2013 to accompany my love with food.
The path
that I’ve taken to get here wouldn’t be most people’s choice but it happened to
be my path and it makes me more proud of how my obstacles have gotten to where I
am now.
Viva la
food!
No comments:
Post a Comment